Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:

> And the definition is so broad that I easily fall into it.  Hoffman may or
> may not, but it really isn't your place to decide.  They have the
> listmasters for a reason, you know.

The term "Developers" in Debian is a formal one, not an accidental
one.  The Debian Constitution carefully specifies it.

I have some very good friends who are not US Citizens.  Is it bad for
me to mention that when a relevant case comes up?  They don't get to
vote; they don't get to sit on juries, etc.  Is it bad for me to
mention this?  Is it bad for the US to have certain privileges and
responsibilities of citizenship which it doesn't share with
"nonmembers"?

> Perhaps my name is, but the rest of the information on it is not.

Then, pray tell, what's the name?

> You really ought to do some more reading before you attribute anonymity
> with shame.

Sometimes anonymity is quite reasonable.  I can think of a jillion
cases where it is a good thing.  The ability to have anonymous
communication on the net is something I'm a stalwart defender of.

But that doesn't mean that each and every case of anonymity is good.
Often it is harmful.

> I'm sorry: what's normal about insisting that someone isn't who they say
> they are?

Um, let's try.  Is your legal name John Galt?  Is that "who you say
you are"?

It's an obvious pseudonym, but it's possible that it's a real name
too.  That's why I asked, and you replied that you were using a
psedonym.  So what's your name?