Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 09:41:50PM -0400, none wrote:
> Actually I did not have "fair use" particularly in mind. Rather, I was
> focused on this language from the GPL:
>
> "2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it,
> thus forming a work based on the Program"

You seem to have omitted a major part of that sentence, which of course
changes the meaning.

> Why rely on the uncertain doctrine of "fair use" when the GPL provides an
> explicit permission.

Even ignoring issues of publication and distribution, creation of a
modified work has some additional constraints.

> Note: many of the "harmful" obligations in the GPL trigger only on
> distribution; remember the example I am talking about does not involve
> distribution of a derived work of a GPL program rather involves combining a
> GPL program (library) and a non-GPL program on an end-user's computer

The creation of many identical copies of the work in the hands of many
different people, is distribution, no matter what the mechanism.

Thanks,

--
Raul