Re: ITP with caution: libdvdcss

> Hi,
>

> The libdvdcss is the Videolan project's DVD decryption software. I
> would like to know other's position on packaging and distributing it
> with Debian.
>
> http://www.videolan.org/libdvdcss/
>
> I am all for political activism, but I realize that it may cause
> trouble to Debian so I want to make sure you do agree to take the same
> position as me before doing this.
>

> Wolfgang

I haven't heard of any lawsuits against people not on US soil, though
the California lawsuit dragged in a lot of John Doe's.  Also, one
could argue that it has cryptographic software, and so should go into
non-US.  As long as you are not on US soil, and no one else who
touches it is, it can probably go into non-US.  They may be in trouble
if they visit the US, though.  It is a legal hot potato.

Regards,
Walter Landry
landry@physics.utah.edu