Re: Q: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

>> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 > Copyright law is not concerned about that, and the question if
 > something is a derived work from something else has nothing to do
 > with the specific details of an abstract idea like an interface, only
 > with the fine details on its implementation, like if code was copied
 > or not.

 That's clear.  I think the question goes along the lines of:  if
 program A is under a non-GPL compatible license, and provides a plug-in
 interface, that is, it can be extended but the plugins are /not/
 required for program's A operation, and plugin B is under the GPL, can
 someone distribute program A and plugin B together?  A further question
 is the definition of "together" (in the context of copyright law).  As
 I understand it, the answer to the first question is no, by
 distributing A and B together you are encouraging the use of B with A
 (the enduser can do this, but I don't think that's the question here).
 I don't know about the second: both components inside a tarball is not
 allowed.  Both components on a CD? Both components on an ftp server
 (even if they are in different directories?  Think mirrors like
 sunsite).  One component on a webpage and a just a link to the second?

--
Marcelo             | Greebo could, in fact, commit sexual harrassment simply
mmagallo@debian.org | by sitting very quietly in the next room.