Re: ITP with caution: libdvdcss

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 07:29:48PM -0400, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> Hi,
>

> The libdvdcss is the Videolan project's DVD decryption software. I
> would like to know other's position on packaging and distributing it
> with Debian.
>
> http://www.videolan.org/libdvdcss/

There's no problems with the software's DFSG compliance, so debian-legal
will say it's good to go in the archive. But ftp-masters will probably not
install your package due to paranoia about the MPAA launching a frivilous
lawsuit against Debian / SPI / whoever.

(Note that I'm not saying such paranoia is totally unfounded. The MPAA has
in the past launched both frivilous and punitive lawsuits, SLAPP's, and
defamation campaigns against people they even mildly don't like. What's up
for debate is whether or not Debian should restrict its activities based on
fear of potential bullying.)

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com