Re: Q: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

Scripsit Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org>

> I think RMS claims that by distributing a program that uses a GPL
> library you are in effect distributing a derived work that includes
> the library even if you are not distributing the library yourself.

> On the one hand it seems strange: how can you be violating X's
> copyright if you never copied X's code?

I think RMS's reasoning is that if you ever distribute the library
to A, you need to accept the contract called GPL - and in that
contract you promise to refrain from ever distributing to B a program
that links against that library and is not GPLed.

That does make some sense formally. But I'm not sure it will work
that way in court.

--
Henning Makholm                "De kan rejse hid og did i verden nok så flot
                                 Og er helt fortrolig med alverdens militær"