GPL's OS Exception (was Re: OpenSSL and GPLed programs)

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 06:12:40PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I don't follow your reasoning here, possibly because you are
> summarizing a past discussion that happened long before I started
> reading this list. I don't propose that Debian use or attempt to use
> the OS exception--I think it would go against much of what we stand
> for. However, I'm curious and would like to understand why we couldn't
> use this if we were so enclined.

The OS exception lets people other than the OS distributor distribute
GPLed code linked against a proprietary OS.

Quiz: what aspect of that exception would be useful for Debian?  [How?]

[Aside: it looks like the Mozilla may have saved us some considerable
pain, if they have an SSL implementation which is distributable under
the GPL.]

Thanks,

--
Raul