Re: Microcode license [#3]

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 10:13:22AM +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> The license (for non-FREE section):
> /       Copyright  Intel Corporation, 1995, 96, 97, 98, 99,
> 2000, 2001.
> /
> /       These microcode updates are distributed for the sole
> purpose of
> /       installation in the BIOS or Operating System of
> computer systems
> /       which include a Genuine Intel microprocessor sold or
> distributed
> /       to or by you. You are not authorized to use this
> material for
> /       any other purpose.

Is this all of the license?

If so, it doesn't appear to give us permission to distribute it, simply
to use it. Which would mean we can't distribute it.

Adding something like: ``In addition, you may freely distribute copies of
this microcode'' would be fine. Adding something like ``Special permission
is given for this microcode to be distributed by the Debian project.''
would probably also be fine.

Note that Intel's claims as to what you can and can't do with the
microcode aren't necessarily legally binding.

Cheers,
aj