Re: Macromedia flash and shockwave

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 05:19:08PM -0600, John Galt wrote:
> Actually, the installer would go into contrib, unless you're planning to
> use a non-DFSG-free license for the installer itself.  The program itself
> is DFSG free, it just depends on (gets) a non-free program.
>
> >If not, we could ask Macromedia for an exceptional permission. Does
> >anyone know how such a permission should be asked? (Maybe an e-mail
> >template...)
>
> NO!  The email template for asking debian specific permission is DON'T DO
> IT.  I cannot emphasize it strongly enough: Debian neither will nor even
> can ask for debian-specific permission, see DFSG #8:

First let me mention that I am not a lawyer. That said, I don't see why DFSG
#8 should affect programs in non-free. I am not taking a position on the
main topic of this thread, but why would any rules of the DFSG apply to
non-free? I thought that was the whole point of that (separate) distribution.
Is there some reason other than the DFSG why a Debian-specific license could
not be used to put something in non-free?

Please CC me on your replies - getting an extra copy of replies to my messages
works well with my procmail filters.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org