Re: three send back changes clauses

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 09:56:45PM -0400, James LewisMoss wrote:

> Please cc me on any replies.  I'm not currently subscribed to this
> list.
>
> I've got three send back changes clauses.  Comments on whether they
> are free?

Clauses that request a user send changes back upstream are OK. Clauses that
_require_ a user send changes back upstream are not. In particular, the
latter shows a disregard for the privacy of the end user, and violates DFSG
#5 (by discriminating against people other than the upstream) and #3 (by
placing onerous restrictions on creating derived works).

In this particular case, the first and third clauses are not OK because they
add requirements, while the second clause is merely a request and is
permitted.