Re: request was dead horse limping...

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 03:15:19PM -0400, James Miller wrote:
> In fairness to Sergio, I think his point was that though he might not
> want to take Debian to court other bad actors might and could.  Would
> this discussion have developed differently had it been IBM's legal
> inquiring rather than Sergio?  :)

Well, this didn't sound so nice to me -

> >  However, there are "friends" out there who are not yet aware of their
> >   wealth, and are not as friendly as I am. A single broadcast message
> >   would be sufficient for one of them to have a few megabytes of
> >   lawyers' replies to it, each of them being very willing to take any
> >   risk and go all the way to sue Debian.

Well, if it was IBM legal, they wouldn't asking on Debian legal,
they'd still be wondering who precisely they could threaten.  And
while some people might be more willing to say "How high" for a legal
dept. at IBM, I would hope that -legal isn't one of them.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss