Re: request

Hi,

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 09:08:05PM +0100, Sergio Brandano wrote:

>   There is a difference between a mailing-list and a news-group;
>   a world difference, quite literally.
>
>   When posting to a news-group, you make a copy of a "file" into your
>   local news-server, which then mirrors the "file" into all
>   news-servers world wide; the reader of your "file" may then be any
>   person, at any time, when reading from his/her local news-server.

In practice this is also what happens if you post to a (debian/archived)
mailing-list. Besides being distributed through news-servers that carry
the linux.debian hierarchy it is published in a publicly accessible
archive on lists.debian.org and its mirrors and it is put into the
local mailboxes of people specifically subscribed to that mailing-list.

I believe the message that started all this can be found on news-servers
all over the world. In particular you can find it on the former dejanews,
now google groups, site at:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Sergio+Brandano&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=3&ic=1&selm=listgate20010503075008%246361%40attila.bofh.it>

>  > It is like talking to friends for years, and suddenly discover that
>  > they have been recording you! Not only this, but they have been also
>  > duplicating and indexing via commercial institutes! Where is the
>  > privacy? What sort of community is this one?

I am very sorry that you feel this way. But I also cannot see how Debian
can help you after the fact. You made contact with a group of people that
values openness very much. That is why all communication between the group
members is openly accessible by everyone. The community members thought that
you understood that when you became part of the community. Now that you have
realised that you don't like such openness you should make the decission
of leaving this community. They are obviously not the kind of friends that
you wanted.

Please understand that people have the same kind of reaction when they
have talked to a group of people on usenet and suddenly realize that
everything they said can be read an re-read by everyone that takes the
trouble to read that particular newsgroup. I really understand that this
is a shock the first time you encounter this. But are you really surprised
that the Debian community/mailing-lists are exactly the same as usenet
newsgroups? You have been posting to newsgroups and mailinglists since
at least 1998. This should not have come as a surprise to you now.

Mark

--
Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>