Re: Email Archive Request

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Sam TH wrote:
> Actually, that isn't true.  To quote from 17 USC 101:
> <quote>
> "Publication" is the distribution of copies or phonorecords of a work
> to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental,
> lease, or lending. The offering to distribute copies or phonorecords
> to a group of persons for purposes of further distribution, public
> performance, or public display, constitutes publication. A public
> performance or display of a work does not of itself constitute
> publication.

I would think that a mailing list is "The offering to distribute copies".
Others (mostly those who don't know how SMTP and mailing lists work) would
probably think it more like a public performance.  I have no clue if it's
been tested in court.

But realistically, don't post to the list if you want the message kept
private.  You might have a technical legal standing to have it removed
from the archive, but you'll piss a lot of people off in the process, cost
Debian a lot of energy, and generally show yourself to be an ass.

Regardless of technical esoterica, this is how it happens - messages are
broadcast, archived by various people, and republished by some of them.
This is good and useful, and if you don't like it, please set up your own
list with whatever rules you prefer.