From: Sam TH [mailto:sam@uchicago.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 5:39 PM
To: James Miller
Cc: debian-legal@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Email Archive Request

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 03:58:29PM -0400, James Miller wrote:
> Courts have construed the conveyance of coyprighted material and later
> attempts to revoke rights to "use" as unenforceable.  In a case
> involving a company that did some special effects for a movie company
> that then failed to pay their bills, the court held the deadbeat company
> enjoyed a non-exclusive license to the copyrighted material.
>
> If people would like a cite I can supply it later.  The parties were
> something like Cohen v. ?? Special Effects.  I think it was a 9th
> circuit case.

Another significant case, in the other direction, is the Salinger
case, in the 2nd Circut I believe, in which Salinger successfuly
prevented the publication of exceprts of letters he had written and
sent to other people, on the grounds that he held the copyright.

The cite is Salinger v. Random House, Inc., 811 F.2d 90 (2d Cir.),
cert. denied 484 U.S. 890 (1987).

The text is available at
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/comm/free_speech/salinger.html

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/