Re: Keyspan Firmware fun

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 01:34:06AM -0600, Walter Landry wrote:
> > > 	- the file keyspan_pda_fw.h is under the GPL.  Is is a compiled
> > > 	  image of the keyspan_pda.S in the same directory
> > > 	  (drivers/usb/serial in the kernel tree.)  This is a wonderful
> > > 	  achievement by Brian Warner who wrote his own firmware to
> > > 	  control this device, before Keyspan ever released their specs.
> >
> > Good to know.  Is it possible for whomever is responsible to explicitly
> > clarify that in that file?
>
> Patches are always welcome :)

Well, could you replace lines 5-7 of drivers/usb/serial/keyspan_pda_fw.h

 * This file is presumed to be under the same copyright as the source file
 * from which it was derived.

with

 * Copyright (c) 2000 Brian Warner.
 *      This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 *      it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 *      the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 *      (at your option) any later version.

I'm guessing on the date here.  I looked at the copyright dates in
keyspan_pda.c.  If you know better, feel free to modify.

> > Also, if you could tell us which other firmware's have license's that
> > are funny, we'll take a look at them.  The original Keyspan license is
> > definitely a non-starter, though.
>
> I don't remember, when we were researching the original Keyspan license,
> a few other ones came up.  I'd recommend someone from the debian group
> go through the whole tree since this seems to be a volatile topic :)

It is actually the resposibility of the maintainer (in this case, I
believe it's Herbert Xu) to do so.  He gets it from what should be a
trusted source.  It doesn't seem to be so trusted anymore.  To be on
the safe side, he would have to start looking through all 60 MB of the
kernel evrey time he rev's the kernel version.  That is infeasible, so
we rely on third parties (like Adam and yourself) to let us know if
there are any problems.

Regards,
Walter Landry
landry@physics.utah.edu