From: Walter Landry [mailto:landry@physics.utah.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, 24 April 2001 2:04 PM
To: debian-legal@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Copyright infringement in
linux/drivers/usb/serial/keyspan*fw.h

Adam J. Richter wrote:
  Linus's Linux kernel releases from 2.3.50 through the latest
  test release (2.4.4-pre6) contain GPL-incompatible "firmware" images
  for "EZUSB" devices in linux/drivers/usb/serial/keyspan*fw.h, which
  are #included into drivers which contain GPL'ed code, even when compiled
  as modules.

The specific licenses that Adam is talking about are

/*
 * keyspan_pda_fw.h
 *
 * Generated from keyspan_pda.s by ezusb_convert.pl
 * This file is presumed to be under the same copyright as the source file
 * from which it was derived.
 */

and then a number of licenses that look like

/* keyspan_usa18x_fw.h

   Generated from Keyspan firmware image Wed Jul  5 09:18:29 2000 EST
   This firmware is for the Keyspan USA-18X Serial Adaptor

   "The firmware contained herein as keyspan_usa18x_fw.h is
   Copyright (C) 1999-2000 Keyspan, A division of InnoSys Incorporated
   ("Keyspan"), as an unpublished work.  This notice does not imply
   unrestricted or public access to this firmware which is a trade secret of
   Keyspan, and which may not be reproduced, used, sold or transferred to
any
   third party without Keyspan's prior written consent.  All Rights
Reserved.

   This firmware may not be modified and may only be used with the Keyspan
   USA-18X Serial Adapter.  Distribution and/or Modification of the
   keyspan.c driver which includes this firmware, in whole or in part,
   requires the inclusion of this statement."

*/

I got these straight from kernel-source-2.4.3_2.4.3.orig.tar.gz.  The
first one is, at least, unclear.  The second one, on the other hand,
is a clearly non-free license.  Neither Debian nor it's mirrors have
permission to distribute it at all.  This is separate from whether it
is DFSG compliant or GPL-compatible or not.  This also means that
Debian can't even distribute the original source tar-ball.  Debian has
no permission at all.  If no one complains, I'll file bugs against

kernel-source-2.4.0
kernel-source-2.4.1
kernel-source-2.4.2
kernel-source-2.4.3
kernel-image-2.4.2-386 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.2-586 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.2-586tsc 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.2-686 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.2-686-smp 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.2-k6 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.2-k7 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.2-pentium4 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.2-pentiumiii 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.2-pentiumiii-smp 2.4.2-1
kernel-image-2.4.3-386 2.4.3-2
kernel-image-2.4.3-586 2.4.3-2
kernel-image-2.4.3-586tsc 2.4.3-2
kernel-image-2.4.3-686 2.4.3-2
kernel-image-2.4.3-686-smp 2.4.3-2
kernel-image-2.4.3-k6 2.4.3-2
kernel-image-2.4.3-k7 2.4.3-2
kernel-image-2.4.3-pentium4 2.4.3-2
kernel-image-2.4.3-pentiumiii 2.4.3-1
kernel-image-2.4.3-pentiumiii-smp 2.4.3-1

(Yes, we do have too many kernel images)

Regards,
Walter Landry
landry@physics.utah.edu