Re: [Steve Lidie <Stephen.O.Lidie@Lehigh.EDU>] Re: xodometer licensing

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Sam TH wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 01:42:53PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Sam TH wrote:
>> >
>> >Second, Perl was released in the mid-80s.  The current copyright law
>> >is ten years older than that.  I don't know exactly when the AL was
>> >written, but this would suggest that it postdates the Copyright Act of
>> >1976.
>>
>> The "copyright by definition" is codified in Berne and the DMCA.  Think
>> 1990 rather than 1970...
>
>1. The Berne Convention and the DMCA are not related.  The DMCA is
>actually an overzealous implementation of a different treaty, the WIPO
>Copyright treaty, passed in 1996.  See
>http://www.wipo.org/treaties/ip/copyright/copyright.html
>
>The Berne Convention was last amended in 1979.  See
>http://www.wipo.org/eng/general/copyrght/bern.htm
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unrelated?  Yet at the same URL....

>2. Default copyright was established both in the Copyright Act of 1976
>and the Berne Convention Implementation Act of 1988.  The relevant
                                                ^^^^
When did you say perl came in to the scene?

>sections of the US Code are 17 USC 401 et. seq.  I encourage you to
>read them.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/

If you aren't going to provide the URL, I will...

BTW, look at 17 USC 411a

 (a) Except for an action brought for a violation of the rights of
       the author under section 106A(a), and subject to the provisions of
       subsection (b), no action for infringement of the copyright in any
       United States work shall be instituted until registration of the
       copyright claim has been made in accordance with this title.

Looks like the "copyright by definition" still has a few bugs to work
out...

Just for clarity 17 USC 106A is about attribution of works...

--
Galt's sci-fi paradox:  Stormtroopers versus Redshirts to the death.