Re: Korn shell license

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001, David Starner wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 03:01:32PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > http://www.research.att.com/sw/license/ast-open.html
> >
> > is the license that ksh93 appears to be covered by. I can't tell
> > whether it repeats the DFSG at a cursory glance. It doesn't look like
> > a nice license. Does anyone see anything non-free about it?
>
> I think last time this came up, that 1e (You must monitor the website) was
> considered non-DFSG free. I think the argument was that that violates #1,
> by requiring a "fee".

Hmm... I sort of consider monitoring the website for new releases an
obligation on the part of the maintainer anyway. I even know why they did
that, it's in their FAQ. They need it because of that patent crap (it always
boils down to the USA allowing such a ridiculous thing as software patents
IMHO -- but let's not digress).

I really don't know what to do with this one. If ksh is not going into main,
it is not worth packaging IMHO (in other words, I certainly won't do it if
it can't go in main, we have pdksh already... so what if it isn't as good as
ksh93 YET?).

On one side, I don't mind 1e one bit, as I'd be doing it anyway (AND I
consider it an obligation of a good debian maintainer to at least check
upstream once every three or four months, which is what AT&T calls a
'reasonable period' in their FAQ).

Is the fact that there are no banner adds, and little if any marketing crap
at all in the www.research.att.com good enough to disqualify 1e as a "fee"?
I mean, we don't block software with timebombs from main AFAIK. And 1e is
kind of a weird timebomb that doesn't even go off...

  Henrique Holschuh