Re: OpenDivX license

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 01:31:12PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> > It's not an open source license. Term #6 places limitations on distributing
> > modified copies.
>
> la CSS, then it would not be OSD-conformant.  But if, reductio ad
> absurdum, the standard said simply, "the software must communicate on port
> 80", that wouldn't violate the DFSG.

It certainly would.

Not only does term #6 prohibit me from distributing copies modified in this
way, it actually goes as far as trying to prevent me from making such
changes in the first place. If the program in your reductio ad absurdum
argument were Apache, and the copyright holder would accuse me of breech of
contract for modifying the software to listen on a different port and accuse
me of copyright infringement if I distributed that modified version, we'd
all agree that minimum, such a term like #6 in the so-called OpenDivX
license violates DFSG #3.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com