Re: No explicit copyright statment, but GPL licence

Scripsit Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org>

> I'm trying to pack LXR ( http://lxr.linux.no/ ).
> In all sources I find no" [Cc]opyright" string (but in GPL COPYING
> file). But all the main source files I found the complete (but
> the copyright sentence) GPL header specified at the bottom of GPL
> licence.

That is good enough. Asserting copyright has no legal implications
(unless you lie), because copyright applies all the same without
being asserted. As long as we have the statement that the GPL covers
the code, it's alright.

> And in debian/copyright what I should write (what copyright years ?) ?

I don't know what we need copyright years for. If you must write a
year, the newest of the datestamps in the upsteam sourse will be
as good as anything.

--
Henning Makholm                                 "Need facts -- *first*. Then
                                            the dialysis -- the *analysis*."