Re: Intel Microcode License

Scripsit Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org>

> /       installation in the BIOS or Operating System of computer systems
> /       which include an Intel P6 family microprocessor sold or distributed
> /       to or by you.  You are authorized to copy and install this material
> /       on such systems.  You are not authorized to use this material for
> /       any other purpose.

> The question: I can put the microcode loader (GPL) with the original
> microcode (with above copyright) to the normal (free) debian section?

No; the license you quote does not permit Debian to distribute the
code at all, since the user's computers are neither sold or distributed
to or by Debian.

> The microcode is not software, it is a processor data.

If microcode is not software, the term has changed its meaning
significantly since my undergraduate time. Would you care to
explain what it means today?

--
Henning Makholm                                  "Panic. Alarm. Incredulity.
                                   *Thing* has not enough legs. Topple walk.