Re: Legal Question on GPL

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 09:49:56PM -0500, Steve Przepiora wrote:

> Hello, I have a legal question about a company stating they're product is
> covered by the GPL. I have included my correspondence with them which will
> explain the situation. This doesn't have to do with Debian, but this is the
> only place I know of that I could get this clarified for me. I do not
> subscribe to this list, if you could reply to me directly I would appreciate
> it.

The GPL does not impose on software developers the duty to operate
a web or FTP site.

It is perfectly permissible under the GPL to just distribute
source+binaries on a CD as this company is doing.

Note that they do not interfere with the distribution rights of users who do
operate sites.  They seem to be in total compliance with the GPL.

--
Don Marti                                This email brought to you
dmarti@zgp.org                           by the number 67 and the