Re: license interpretation

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 10:49:55AM -0700, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> I am thinking of using SRP (Secure Remote Password protocol) for the DDT
> (Dynamic DNS Tools) projectk, which is developed by Debian developers and
> packaged for Debian as ddt-client and ddt-server. SRP has an interesting
> set of clauses in addition to the standard BSD stuff:
>
>  * 1. Any software that incorporates the SRP authentication technology
>  *    must display the following acknowlegment:
>  *    "This product uses the 'Secure Remote Password' cryptographic
>  *     authentication system developed by Tom Wu (tjw@CS.Stanford.EDU)."
>  *
>  * 2. Any software that incorporates all or part of the SRP distribution
>  *    itself must also display the following acknowledgment:
>  *    "This product includes software developed by Tom Wu and Eugene
>  *     Jhong for the SRP Distribution (http://srp.stanford.edu/srp/)."
>
> Annoying as these are, I can't see how they violate the DFSG. I'd like
> confirmation of this.

The problem with this clause is that it doesn't define what "display"
means.

"Display" is no problem, and unambigous, for a program that already
"displays" (for example, an interactive program).  But, what does this
mean for other programs (for example, imagine a linux-based firewall,
which provides transparent authentication/NAT/encryption, etc. -- what
would "display" mean in that context?).

If there's something in this license which resolves this issue, it's
probably ok.  Otherwise, I see a potential conflict on DFSG#6.

Thanks,

--
Raul