Re: Is the SYPP License DFSG-Compliant?

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> Clay Crouch wrote:
> > The license does not restrict the _distribution_ of it. It can be
> > sold as part of an aggregate.
> >
> > So, I am not sure Clause 1 (Free Redistribution) of the DFSG applies.
> > It is Clause 6 (No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor) that
> > troubles me.... And I am not %100 sure is this license violates Clause 6.
>
> I don't belive that clause 6 is referring to selling software when it
> refers to fields of endeavor. It's referring to _using_ software, which
> is why it says "... making use of the program ..." and gives some
> examples of program use.

Well.... The point is now moot. Clause 7 of the DFSG makes it so.

 7. Distribution of License

    The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the
    program is redistributed without the need for execution of an
    additional license by those parties.

The license requires execution of a separate license for commercial
development, business, and governmental use.

I failed to realize this until it was pointed out.... Mia culpa.

Thanks to everyone who answered for your time. :^)

Cheers!
/ Clay Crouch, Shamless Bum ;^>    | <http://danno.tzo.com/~danno>   \
| Linux Administration/Consulting  | <danno@danno.tzo.com>           |
| Debian Package Maintainer        | <danno@debian.org>              |
|    "Away put your weapon; I mean you no harm." -- Master Yoda      |
| 1024D/7D2AD631: 2319 2356 FEDF 4631 63F3 762A E443 1C2A 7D2A D631  |