Re: [Talin@ACM.org: Suggestions for wording...?]

Hopefully this clarifies Talin's request a bit..  I won't be able to
answer for at least 10 hours, probably longer.  I'm going to BED.

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 10:29:32AM -0700, Talin wrote:
> I recieved a few suggestions which, unfortunately, seem to be based on
> misunderstandings of what I'm asking for.
>
> The license that I want should have the following features:
>
> 	1. Be compatible with the GPL.
> 	2. Allow linking with other open-source licenses.
> 	3. Should be as restrictive as the GPL when it comes to proprietary
> software, i.e. it only allows linking with proprietary software in
> certain special cases.
>
> Here is the language I came up with:
> ----
> A special exception to the GPL listed below is that this
> program may be linked with any libraries or components that are
> distributed under a license that meets the Open Source Definition
> (http://www.opensource.org/osd.html), and that such components
> shall be considered seperate works, not covered under the terms
> of this license.
> ----
> However, I'm not sure that this language is legally sound. Please help
> me debug it.
>
> --
> Talin (Talin@ACM.org)       "I am life's flame. Respect my name.
> www.sylvantech.com/~talin    My fire is red, my heart is gold.
> www.hackertourist.com/talin  Thy dreams can be...believe in me,
>                              If you will let my wings unfold..."
>                                -- Heather Alexander

This is the solution to Debian's problem .. and since the only real way
to create more relatives of developers is to have children, we need more
sex!  It's a long term investment ... it's the work itself that is
satisfying!
        -- Craig Brozefsky