Re: reiserfs-utils_3.5.19-1_i386.changes REJECTED (fwd)

On 16 Jun 2000, James Troup wrote:
> > >From the copyright:
> > >This makes this software non-free.  If you disagree with this
> > >analysis, please take it up on debian-legal@lists.debian.org.  Thanks.
> > >James
> >
> > I don't agree.  The GPL only allows integration with GPL products.
>
> Eh?  No it doesn't.  I can, for example, integrate GPLed code into a
> product with a MIT-style license without problems.

The license on the collective whole will become GPL, since the MIT's
requirements are a strict subset of the GPL's (the only true measure of
compatibility between the GPL and anything else).  The license on the MIT
parts will still be MIT.

> I think I understand what the license is trying to say (that non-GPL
> licenses are available from the author, if you don't want to be bound
> by the terms of the GPL?), but the way it's currently worded is
> incredibly sloppy and fails the DFSG.

That blurb simply states a fact (that the copyright holder has the right
to relicense), and I'm not sure how stating a fact is contrary to the
DFSG.  Of course, the licensor better make sure they get copyright
assignment from all contributors, otherwise that fact becomes invalid,
strictly speaking.

	Brian