Re: complete clone of the debian website

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 12:47:31PM -0400, Mike Bilow wrote:
> I recognize your point, but there is enormous uncertainty whether HTML
> source is subject to copyright protection at all, as distinct from
> rendered HTML. The problem is that copyright protects, by definition,
> an actual expression of an idea. This presupposes at least the
> possibility of communicating the work to another person.

Is this the same kind of uncertainty that exists about whether computer
source is subject to copyright protection at all?

Anyways, copyright law issues are always a bit vauge, because it extends
to copies which have been modified.  [Some people might argue that this
shows a fundamental flaw in the concept of copyright law.  I don't know
that I'd disagree with them.  But it's still the law.]

What we have here is evidence that a work has been copied.  That the
evidence itself might or might not be copyrightable doesn't mean that
it's not evidence.

--
Raul