Re: KDE libs

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 04:41:47PM +0000, Daniel Glassey wrote:
> It's a pain bringing this up again (KDE and stuff), but it would be useful
> to know what the position on kde-libs (for KDE 2)is.
>
> If the licensing is ok and someone will maintain it, will it be allowed into
> woody so that other apps that use it, qt and have the qt exception to the
> GPL could be included as well.
>
> >From the README of the first beta kde-libs-1.90:
>
> 'Licensing
> -----------
> The libraries themselves have been covered (since Saturday, June 21st, 1997)
> by the GNU Library General Public License (LGPL).  Any other programs (such
> as the examples) are covered by the GNU General Public License (GPL).  All
> the gory details for the LGPL reside in COPYING.LIB, and for the GPL reside
> in COPYING.
>
> Various parts are also covered under a BSD style license, detailed in
> COPYING.BSD.  Currently, code covered under such license is copyrighted by
> Theo de Raadt.'
>
> Is this includable?

I don't see why it shouldn't be. It's been a big sore point between Debian
and KDE that Debian doesn't carry the KDE libs despite them being LGPL and
hence fair game. I'm cc'ing this to the two unofficial Debian KDE packagers,
because they should have first shot at this.

Unless someone can come up with some practical reason (can kde-libs be built
without kde-base?) or some legal reason why not, let's see the KDE libs
in Debian.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu