RE: Musings on Darwin ...

I'm not sure.  As I recall there might have been an issue
related to notifications (under Section 2.2 You May Deploy
Covered Code, provided...

c) if You Deploy Covered Code containing Modifications made
by You, inform others of how to obtain those Modifications by
filling out and submitting the information found at
http://www.apple.com/publicsource/modifications.html, if
available; and ..etc..

I think there was some objection to this.  Although it
doesn't seem too onerous.  Perhaps there were concerns
that it would impact downstream users?

I'm going to cross-post to debian-legal to see if someone
there can refresh our memory.

The best I can remember (from a year or so ago) was that
Bruce Perens had issues with the Apple license, which
were mitigated in some way.  I don't recall if its was
deemed DFSG-compliant afterwards or not.

Certainly the GPL and BSD portions of Darwin are of no
concern.

-Brent