Re: KDE not in Debian?

Marc van Leeuwen <maavl@mathlabo.univ-poitiers.fr> writes:

> By the way, I assume that Microsoft does not forbid distribution of binaries
> for programs that run under MS Windows (that would certainly decrease the
> popularity of their platform). Is this because they explicitly gave
> permission, or simply because their permission is not required? I honestly
> don't know, but I would bet it is the second possibilty. Does anybody have
> more definite information on such issues?

As a general rule, the people who make those runtime libraries give
away certain rights in the license.  You usually get it with the
compiler.

Typically, when you by some proprietary compiler+libraries, you will
find an explicit license where they have agreed to let you distribute
linked programs using their library; typically you might be able to
distribute linked binaries without limitation as long as it's
non-profit.  If you are making a profit, then sometimes the library
author wants a cut too, though different compiler-package-vendors
differ.

Thomas