Re: Integrity of Source Code

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 08:35:45PM +0100, Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> > The program by default pops up a splash saying 'This is the official version
> > of X obtainable in source and binary form from Y' - justs popups up for 3
> > seconds or something not to obnoxious.
> >
> > If the source code (not build parameters) are changed you are required to
> > have the message popup with 'This is an UNOFFICIAL version of X. The
> > official version can be obtained from Y.' - again for ~3 seconds.
>
>    I think this breaks the DFSG, because it simply prevents to remove
> the popup code.

This is no different than the interactive execution copyright notice that
the GPL mandates unless the upstream author opted not to place one.  Of
course, it is more annoying.

>    One solution I may suggest is to require any modified version to have
> a fully different name. The Apache project is using such a license for
> their webserver:
>
>  * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache"
>  *    nor may "Apache" appear in their names without prior written
>  *    permission of the Apache Group.
>
>    You might find this solution acceptable, since it is DFSG compatible.

This is a much less annoying alternative.  It is not however GPL
compatible until after the name has changed.

<NeonKttn> I had a friend stick me in her closet during highschool beacuse I
           wouldn't believe that her boyfriend knew about foreplay...
<NeonKttn> I shoulda brought popcorn. :)