Re: Intel Microcode License

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 04:45:39AM -0800, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have packed a microcode loader for Pentium Pro, Pentium II,...
> I have some problem with the Intel license:
>
> The microcode have this copyright:
>
> /+++
> /       Copyright  Intel Corporation, 1995, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000.
> /
> /       These microcode updates are distributed for the sole purpose of
> /       installation in the BIOS or Operating System of computer systems
> /       which include an Intel P6 family microprocessor sold or distributed
> /       to or by you.  You are authorized to copy and install this material
> /       on such systems.  You are not authorized to use this material for
> /       any other purpose.
> /---

The microcode is not Free Software and does not meet the Debian Free
Software Guidelines since there's no permssion to distribute modified copies
of the microcode.

On first glance, it appears that Debian can distribute this in non-free,
since Debian distributes an Operating System of computer systems which
include an Intel P6 family microprocessor and the license grants permission
to copy and install the microcode on such systems. However, upon closer
inspection, it seems that the copying must occur on systems the license
specifies that copying is permitted on. From my reading, these systems
include computer systems containing Intel P6 Processors, Basic Input/Output
Systems that run on computer systems which include an Intel P6 family
processor, or Operating Systems which run on systems containing an Intel P6
family processor. While it's quite possible all of the non-free masters and
mirrors meet these requirements right now, it's inappropriate to limit
non-free's upgrade path just so the P6 microcode can be included.

Is the microcode on Intel's web site somewhere? Perhaps the postinst for
your microcode loader could go fetch it.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com