Re: RTLinux patent

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 02:48:08PM -0600, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
> My reading of this is that the RTlinux code cannot be integrated into
> some other GPLed OS, eg the Hurd, without incurring patent license
> fees.  To my mind this should be enough to consign it to non-free.

This is a good point.  [And one I overlooked.]

> It might be that the holders of the patent would permit its free use
> in GPL-compatibly-licensed OSes other than Linux.  Perhaps someone
> should ask them.

Absolutely.  I think we should ask them to allow the RTLinux code to be
used with any GPLed OS.

I think this wierd phrasing is because of the binary module exception
that is associated with Linux.  I think the right way of dealing with
that is to allow for any GPLed OS plus GPLed Linux with its binary
modules exception.

--
Raul