Re: RTLinux patent

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 08:31:59AM -0500, owinebar@free-expression.org wrote:
>     This is not compatible with the GPL (or the DSFG, I believe).  The
> The GPL is about reading, writing, modifying, and distributing software.
> It doesn't restrict platform compatibility (or even require functionality
> or compilability, for that matter).  And it expressly forbids patents that
> restrict the modification rights it grants.  (Otherwise, you might plead
> that, technically, the GPL didn't cover use and so is disjoint from any
> restraints on running the program, which is what patents cover (i.e. the
> device the patents cover isn't actually in existence until the software
> runs)).

Fortunately not.  Read sections 7 and 8 of the GPL.  If a patent prevents
you from distributing a GPL'd program, you may not do so.  The DFSG is
concerned with Copyright, and so does not apply here as long as the DFSG
is satisfied.

>      Anyway, the GPL is freer than the patent license, so forbids
> redistribution (at least in the country in which the patent holds).

Not really.  The patent would have to place restrictions on distribution
of rtlinux for it to matter.  It doesn't.

<WildTHing> ok guys .. so whens the next commit :PP
<taniwha> when they come to get me