Re: FWD: Analog licence violates DFSG

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> Please let me know what you think.

I think we have had this debate before :}

I don't remember what the final result was, but most agreed that it is
silly to place restrictions on a license agreement that are already
implied by local law, as they are really beyond the scope of licensing.
Who is going to be prevented from using software by a license agreement,
that is already unconcerned with the law?

It certainly looks as if the intent of this clause is to prevent the
software author from being held liable of an end user uses it for some
illegal purpose.  But I don't think that would be likely, anyway, even
with the modern legal climate.

My particular perspective is that it *should* not make a package
DFSG-unfree.  Since the software cannot be used in the prohibited manner
anyway, no actual freedom is restricted.