IMAPD license problem

IMAPD is included in main because it has a license which people
usually interpret as giving permission to distribute modified
versions.

But the University of Washington explicitly says they don't believe it
means this.  In effect, we cannot consider IMAPD as free software
unless we are willing to dare them to sue us.

I've included a recent message in which they clearly state they
believe that you have to *ask* for permission to distribute a modified
version.

Now, it could be that they will give us permission to release
a modified version and to permit others to modify our version.
If so, then our version would be free even if theirs isn't,
and that would solve the problem.  It could make sense to ask
(but it would be better not to mention my name, because the FSF
and the UW almost had a lawsuit about this very issue for PINE).

So I hope that Debian will move IMAPD out of main, if Debian cannot
get permission to release a free version.

How do other free IMAP servers compare with IMAPD?  Would someone like
to write down a list of what is needed to improve some other server so
that it would make IMAPD uninteresting?  We could then try to find
someone to do the work.