Re: again: blackened copyright

On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 11:17:24AM +0200, Joost van Baal wrote:
> Last week, I posted the message below to debian-legal. Didn't get
> any response, however.  Am I missing something really obvious?  If
> so, could someone please bang me on my head for it?
>
> Am I just stuck, with this upstream maintainer not responding?  Is
> there no other way than to contact the maintainer, to get around the
> copyright issue?

If blackened uses the same code that was relicensed, then you should be
able to replace the copyright notice on your own.

For instance, when UC Berkeley relicensed all the BSD-licensed it possessed
to remove the advertising clause, this relicensing instantaneously
propagated among all licensees (i.e., people with the code).  UC Berkeley
did not, and does not, need to contact each licensee individually to modify
their terms.

What remains for you to do is establish that the ircii code in blackened is
the same code that was relicensed by its author.  This should be easy
enough with a visual comparison of the two source archives.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Software engineering: that part of
Debian GNU/Linux                |    computer science which is too difficult