Re: Are GPLed .gifs legal at all ???

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 10:13:56PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 03:48:56AM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > GPL requires people to whom you redistribute a file
> > to be able to modify and redistribute it.
> > But they can't modify .gifs they got, because of
> > patent problems.
> > GPL says. that if, due to patent problems, you
> > can't meet all licence's critaria, you can't distribute
> > GPLed file at all.
> They can modify and redistribute it. They can load it up
> in Photoshop, they can load it up in hexedit, they can load
> it up in a program that uses libungif, or they can edit it
> outside the United States. All entirely legal ways to edit
> the gif.

I will quote GPL again.

To prevent this, we have made it clear that any
patent must be licensed for everyone's free use or not licensed at all.
  2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it
  6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
these terms and conditions.
If you cannot
distribute so as to satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this
License and any other pertinent obligations, then as a consequence you
may not distribute the Program at all.

This plainly states that if recipient can't modify .gif in every
way he/she want, you can't distribute GPLed file to him/her.