Re: SGI Free SW license 1.1 compatability with Xfree86 style license

Scripsit James LewisMoss <jimdres@mindspring.com>

>  Henning> That is a very broad clause: "Recipient will .. indemnify
>  Henning> .. SGI from, .. any loss ... arising out of Recipient's use
>  Henning> .. of the Covered Code". That seems to mean that if I use
>  Henning> the software in a business that competes successfully with
>  Henning> SGI, they could sue me and demand that I pay up for their
>  Henning> lost profits.

>  >> This reads to me just as a no warranty clause.

>  Henning> can you refuse that my reading is one of the cases the
>  Henning> language actually Henning> covers?

> Actually yes.

Then explain where my reasoning breaks down, please. As far as I can
see, it says plain as day that if I use the program and that causes
SGI to suffer any loss, I must indemnify SGI from that loss. Where
am I wrong?

> It looks like a standard no warranty clause.

Warranty clauses normally do not have that effect.

> but I don't see your reading in it.

Which of the words I quoted do not come from the original clause?
Which of my "..."s do you think cover somthing that makes my reading

Henning Makholm                             "We're trying to get it into the
                                 parts per billon range, but no luck still."