Re: stance on QPL 2 / GPL/LGPL license usage

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 03:40:27AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:

> > > Qt 2.0 with LGPL, no problem
> > > Qt 2.0 with GPL, problem
> > >
> > > Same stance, has never changed.  The GPL does not allow linking with Qt
> > > 2.0.  The people who write GPL apps using Qt 2.0 know this by now.  KDE
> > > knows it, that's for damned sure.  Those authors who care have added the
> > > necessary permissions.  KDE hasn't and won't because then they'd have to
> > > give up being able to use GPL'd code.
> >
> > ok...unixODBC say's this:
> >
> >    * All programs are GPL.                                       *
> >    * All libs are LGPL
> >
> > so..based on what your saying, the libs could go into main, but the programs
> > would be non-free...(or just not distributed)...
>
> Since I have no idea what the HELL you're talking about, I can only assume
> you're talking about mixing GPL and LGPL licenses.  If you are, I suggest
> reading the LGPL sometime.

unixODBC is a software package made up of libraries and a few apps which use
those libraries.  The libraries are LGPL'd and the apps are GPL'd.  They
are also linked to libqt2.1.

I'm trying to find out if packages I create can be uploaded to Debian or not.
:)

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II