Re: CD images and US export laws

"Frederik Vanrenterghem"
<frederik.vanrenterghem@student.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

> I don't get the problem. Wasn't this law recently changed, resulting in free
> export of encryption software?

AFAIK you still have to jump through some hoops before you can
consider exporting legal. I think it would be a nice thing for the
legal team to figure out some of the questions:

- If upstream has got the permission to distribute their software
  world-wide (except evil empires), can simply Debian freely
  redistribute it?
   + If yes, and when source is available, may Debian also distribute
     changed versions?

- If upstream has not yet got permission (and perhaps is unwilling to
  ever get one), can Debian apply for permission?
   + Has the permission to be renewed for updated upstream versions,
     or updated Debian versions?

As I understand it "getting permission" may be as simple as telling
the Department of something the URL where it is distributed, and the
Deparment not complaining. Is that true?

debian-legal: What's your thoughts on this?

Perhaps woody may do away with non-US entirely...

--
Robbe