Re: GNU License and Computer Break Ins

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding here.  GPL is a set of
copyright license terms, and the subject of copyright is the right to
publish.  The essence of GPL is that, if you publish, you must follow
certain conditions.  There is nothing in GPL that requires you to publish.

If someone breaks into your computer and copies GPL software without
permission, then the best that can be said in their defense is that they
have not committed copyright infringement.  In such a case, however, it
seems to me that copyright infringement would be the least of their
worries, relative to more traditional criminal charges.

However, an unpublished work derived from a GPL work is not itself open to
be copied freely unless and until it is published.  "Publishing," in this
context, is pretty much anything that involves distribution to others,
such as selling the work, but having a copy of your work stolen is not
"publication" for copyright purposes.

GPL does not require disclosure, let alone involuntary copying, and a GPL
work could even be a trade secret.  For example, if I made a device that
ran on unmodified Linux, which is GPL, I could decide not to tell anyone
that I was using Linux inside the device and I could require anyone to
sign a non-disclosure agreement before I told them.  As long as I did not
charge for the operating system in my device, this would be perfectly in
compliance with GPL.  (Of course, if my device ran on modified Linux, the
act of selling the device would be publication, and I would have to make
my modifications available to the Linux community -- but nothing would
require me to disclose, for example, what motivated the modifications.)

-- Mike