Re: DFSG Par. 9 and GPL "Virulogical" effekt

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 05:18:14PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> the DFSG Paragraph 9 says:
>
>     9. License Must Not Contaminate Other Software
> [...]
> A restriction could be that you have to publish all "parts" of the program
> under the same license as the GPL says - This Discussion has been fought
> in the QT vs. GPL debate and has ended in QPL and GPL not be compatible
> which in my eyes shows the "Contamination" of QT from GPL based programs.

Note that it says Other Software. This refers to other programs on the same
medium. Not to source code that is put together to form one software program
such as is the case in a program that is derived from both GPL and QT code.

Note that Debian does contain -seperate- programs that are distributed under
the GPL and programs that are distributed under the QT, just no programs that
can be seen as being distributed under both the GPL and the QT license
such as when they are derived from both GPL and QT covered code - except when
a special exception is made to make this legally possible, see
<http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/get-copyright?package=licq-plugin-qt2>
for an example.

Cheers,

Mark