Re: Mirror site (fwd)

dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org writes:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 03:12:14PM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> > That scheme is totally consistent with the intentions of DFSG-free licenses.
>
> Unfortunetly, it's not consistent with many of the non-DFSG-free licenses.
> You'd be violating licenses if you did this with many of the packages in non-free,
> so if you want to do it for any of those, you should take a look at the license
> first. (Because of your description of your buisniss, it would probably be more
> feasible to just not include anything from non-free.)

I am remembering that several people around here have recently told me that

	non-free is not part of Debian.

When someone asked what they meant by this, they clarified that

	non-free is not part of Debian.

I guess that was what they meant. :-)

Redistributing non-free is definitely a tricky proposition, since things
are there for all sorts of peculiar reasons.  I doubt that anyone on
debian-legal would be comfortable saying "You have a right to distribute
the contents of non-free" -- it would probably be more like "We hope
that the people already distributing non-free have a right to distribute
non-free".