Re: [andrew@AmbrosiaSW.com: Re: Copyright of maelstrom artwork]

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 11:49:32AM -0500, Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> > I think it's necessary to comment on this considering that I asked RMS
> > recently about a project attempting to build a free dataset for the GPL
> > Quake engines to use.  It's possible he didn't quite understand what I
> > wanted to do, but he suggested the artwork and such be released under a
> > two-line verbatim copying only license.
> >
> > I was floored.  Several other people were as well.
>
> It seems to be RMS's position that "verbatim copying only" grants are
> acceptable for things that he consideres art such as paintings and novels.
> If RMS belived the .pak files to be purely artistic, it's likely that he
> would draw the conclusion you mention above. However, I think what you're
> referring to as artwork (and I'll hereafter refer to as graphics and models
> to avoid confusion) is not purely artistic, but rather functional as well.
> In order to create variations on play, one might need to modify the graphics
> and models for that purpose.

Yes, I replied as such and am hoping he has better suggestions..  =>

I sat laughing snidely into my notebook until they showed me a PC running
Linux. And oh! It was as though the heavens opened and God handed down a
client-side OS so beautiful, so graceful, and so elegant that a million
Microsoft developers couldn't have invented it even if they had a hundred
years and a thousand crates of Jolt cola.
        -- LAN Times