Re: 'impact' ttf license?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 12:17:04PM +0100, Stefan Ott wrote:
> i'm planning to package a perl tool i made (available at
> http://tools.desire.ch/perlbeat) which includes some gifs using the IMPACT
> (windows) truetype font.
> now i wonder if this is ok, because i don't know about impact's license.
> does anyone?

Distribution of rendered fonts is legal provided that you aquired the font
rendered legally.  That is to say, if you have a legal copy of a font you
are entitled to use it.  Case law for this predates computers by at least
100 years and comes from the day that fonts were made of metal and put
into printing presses.

<jgoerzen> stu: ahh that machine.  Don't you think that something named
           stallman deserves to be an Alpha? :-)
<stu> jgoerzen: no, actually, I'd prolly be more inclined to name a 386
      with 4 megs of ram and a 40 meg hard drive stallman.
<stu> with a big fat case that makes tons of noise and rattles the floor
* Knghtbrd falls to the floor holding his sides laughing
<stu> and..
<stu> double-height hard drive