Re: Heart of the debate

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Don Sanders wrote:
> > GNU e?grep, version 1.6
>
> Grep (the binary) does contain the following:

I see this message in grep 2.3 but not 1.6. (At the time I was logged into a
stable machine that doesn't get upgraded very often).

But either way I think we agree the binary isn't licensed under the GPL.

> > <offtopic>
> > I'm wondering if this means the binary is put in the public domain? This
> > could be a serious problem for GPLed Java code, as Java decompilers are
> > very good. </offtopic>
>
> If there is no license

Ok, so our greps are under no license, that's a lot better than being in the
public domain. (/me Breathes sigh of relief).

, then distribution is not permitted -- it is still
> copyrighted.  However, the license to the source code (the GPL) does permit
> redistribution of the binary.  Perhaps this would only hold true if in fact
> you have a copy of the source code, and thus have received a license, but
> distributors do have such a copy.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

BFN,
Don.