Re: FunnelWeb manuals copyright issues

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 11:11:27AM +1030, Ross N. Williams wrote:
> At 2:49 PM +0100 1/1/2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> >Maybe I am some kind of dfsg fanatic, but if someone would like to provide
> >translations on non-pagable device ? Your license forbid using translations
> >with aural device (there are no pages there), and what about a-few-dozens-chars/page
> >device (watches, very little handhelds) ? You see, world is changing, and web means
> >diversity.
>
> Well, fine. I don't want to be a stick-in-the-mud.
>
> All I'm trying to do is protect myself. FunnelWeb is created by me
> and, by default, people will think that anything that appears in the
> manual was written by me. What's to stop some brain-dead person putting
> something technically-incorrect or stupid or worse: mildly racist or
> slightly-off that no one will question, but everyone will assume I
> wrote? By creating a manual with my name on it that anyone can modify,
> I'm effectively authorizing a broadcast channel with my name on it that
> anyone can anonymously write to!!! Does that seem sensible to you?!!!
>
> I want to make it free, but the only way I'm going to make it free
> to the extent that you want it to be free is to anonymize the entire
> package so my name doesn't appear anywhere.
>
> So if you want to be picky, why don't YOU write me a notice that
> will simultaneously satisfy you AND protect my good(?:-) name
> because I think my desire to protect my good name is REASONABLE!

Oh, so you are not against changing your manual, only affraid if
someone misrepresents something what is not your work as your work.
What abot this licence :

Copyright 199x Ross N. Williams <ross@rocksoft.com>
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use, with or without modification, are permitted
provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistribution must retain the above copyright notice,
   this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions of modified versions MUST NOT be misrepresented
   as original version. All modifications MUST be plainly pointed.
   This point doesnt apply if modifications doesnt change content
   of this manual, only data format or medium on which content appears.

THIS MANUAL IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Do you like it (cut & paste parts of bsd and artistic, with some my editorial) ?

> >And the real thing:
> >
> >This requirance, that only derived works with notice on each modified page
> >are allowed forbids derived works w/o this notice on each page, so
> >this licence is against dfsg. And this text about frontpage is not good either.
> >I know, I am annoying,
>
> I'm glad that you are blessed with this high degree of self-knowledge.
>
> However, what's REALLY annoying is that this pickiness is coming from a
> guy whose domain is "beer.com".
>
> If you're going to be like this, at least change to a more realistic
> domain such as "motherfuckerlawyer.com" :-)
>
> >but if you want it to be free, make it free, and
> >if you dont want our freedom (this doesnt mean `free beer', rather `free speech'),
> >we can put it to non-free. It is good enough for this archive,
>
> By this do you mean that you're going to let it into the main
> archive for this distribution?
>
> Yann may want me to make some changes to the doco anyway so maybe
> I will be reshipping anyway.
>
> I want the manuals to be in the main archive because that's where the
> code is and it seems like a bad idea to separate then. Also, I want the
> WHOLE of FunnelWeb to be blessed by Debian/GNU/OpenSource/FSF/RMS/ESR/etc,
> preferably in an ecumenical Sunday service of some kind conducted by
> RMS in his robes and disk drive halo in front of a congregation of
> lawyers with email addresses like *@beer.com and *@smashthecapitaliststate.com.

Hey, whats wrong with my domain ? :-)

> Ross.
>
> Dr Ross N. Williams (ross@rocksoft.com), +61 8 8232-6262 (fax-6264).