Re: pptp, ppp with Microsoft encryption

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 10:34:30 +0000, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> Is RC4 encryption a problem with the US export laws ?

I suspect so. It may depend on the bitsize (IIRC, regular netscape uses
40-bit RC4), but even for the case of an allowed bitsize, an export license
might be required.

> What about MD4 (it is used as well with mppe and mschap codes) ?

MD* are message digests, aka secure hash functions. As such, they don't
perform encryption (though there are ways to build ciphers from them).

> The additional files 'rc4.h' and 'rc4_enc.c' that are needed for patching
> the kernel ppp part have this license and I do not know if they qualify as
> DFSG-free software:

It looks like they're from SSLeay/OpenSSL, which are DFSG-free.

The license is not GPL-compatible though, so they cannot be incorporated
into the kernel. A solution would be to make them into loadable kernel
modules or coordinate with the www.kerneli.org folks and find GPL-compatible
RC4 code somewhere.

HTH,
Ray