Re: FW: Re: debian & portsentry

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shaleh@varesearch.com> writes:
> 1) I need to ensure code integrity because of the nature of the tool. If a
> person makes a change to the code that seriously hurts security it
> reflects poorly on me.

Henning Malcolm:
> It would be quite acceptable to require changed versions to announce
> very prominently that they are not the original.

I concur. The license should stipulate something like this: If you modify
the program, you must change its name and indicate clearly that it's not
the official version of Sean Perry, and you must give an explanation of
where on the net the official version can be found.

> I need to make sure nobody bundles all my tools together and sells
> them separately.

Keep giving them away for free, and keep allowing others to give them away
as well. Then, if someone bundles them together and sells them, they can't
do it for much money. All of the incentive is removed.

In general, it's better to have software from someone like you who cares
about security. But if you don't use a DFSG-compliant license, someone
else's software is going to be doing this task in Debian and other
distributions, and that someone might not be quite as careful as you. Thus,
I think you'd be increasing security in general by using a DFSG-compliant
license.

	Thanks

	Bruce